Re: Future of groff Texinfo manual (was: documentation of hyphenation)

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: Future of groff Texinfo manual (was: documentation of hyphenation)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 00:44:10 +1000

Well said, James. Fully agreed on all points.

> A convenient GUI viewer -- with hyperlinks and proportional fonts --
> would "advertise" groff and cement its position as the best free
> documenation system there is, bar none.

I started work on such a thing. Basically, it's an Electron-based front-end
for Roff.js <https://github.com/Alhadis/Roff.js> to enable live-reloading
of edited Roff documents, hyperlinked cross-references (both in nroff(1)
and troff(1)-emulated output), and a bunch of other spiffy-looking crap
like translucency and mupdf-style page-navigation.

It was designed to be eye candy for people who don't read man pages because
they're "ugly" and "outdated". People might think differently if they see
high-quality typeset manuals instead of 4-font monospaced TTY output… :-)