Re: \: re-enables hyphenation--should it?

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: \: re-enables hyphenation--should it?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 09:18:56 -0500

This behavior is not what I would have expected either.

I'd mildly prefer to see \:'s hyphenation-reset behavior changed.  \%
changes meaning depending on whether it's at the start or in the
middle of a word, and your examples illustrate that it's acting with
its beginning-of-word meaning when it follows a midword \:, which also
seems incongruous (though necessary if the \: resetting behavior is
retained).

Admittedly, if \% carries its midword meaning here, it's not clear
what the sequence \:\% *should* mean, so this interaction needs to be
carefully documented in any case.