code review and strategy for macros set?

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: code review and strategy for macros set?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:27:10 +0200

hello people,

i finally took some time to write some roff without the help of existing
macros set so i could figure out how hard it would maintain my own page
layout and macros set.

i got this document: http://mc.aude.re/tmp/r.pdf
from this code     : https://github.com/eiro/roff-experience

Now i'm confident on the fact i can achieve a macro set that can produce
this layout but i realized there are a lot of things to implement to
get something safe enough to use for my daily basics.

So i really wonder what is the good strategy there. i see some:

* start a macro set from scratch
    pro : total control
    cons: seems to be a lot of work
* use me as foundation of my own macro set
    pro : deal with gory details but not too high level
    cons: lost control
* start from mm, thune and hack it
    pro : works fine right now, thune later
    cons: lost control

is there a good practice or a common strategy for this situation?
are you maintaining your own macro set (at work or for your local clubs
for example)?

regards,
marc