Re: mechanism to inhibit adding new hyphens to hyphenated words?

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: mechanism to inhibit adding new hyphens to hyphenated words?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 03:23:34 -0500

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the idea, and sorry for the vagueness in the problem
description.  I'm looking for something that

 - preserves the breakability at the hyphen already in the word (\%
inhibits this)
 - doesn't require locating and adorning every such word in the document

While the latter problem is theoretically scriptable, this is
complicated by the fact that the names of macros, strings, .char
entities, etc., can contain hyphens, making the whole thing
unnecessarily error-prone.  I would like it if groff had a way to
handle this itself, but I don't believe it does.