Re: I'd like to help kill off some man(1) hacks

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: I'd like to help kill off some man(1) hacks
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:39:32 -0500

[removed man-db from the distribution since this is purely a groff question]

On 8/24/20, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we can get the PS-and-PDF-font-embedding situation worked out, maybe
> that would merit a version bump to 1.23,

Does GNU in general, or groff in particular, have hard and fast rules
about what level of change warrants bumping which element of the
version number?  The next groff release will already change the
interpretation of some undelimited \s arguments (commit 0b9aaca0),
which has the potential to affect some back compatibility.  By the
strictest reading of the rules of semantic versioning
(http://semver.org/), this requires bumping the major version number.