Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:27:20 -0400

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 19:20:46 +1000
"G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> At 2020-09-27T18:30:41-0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how -ms macros could be compatibly extended to
> > include classes and IDs?  I've always found that aspect of my
> > "proposal" daunting.
>
> Well, why not have strings MS-CLASS and MS-ID?  The user can set them
> with .ds any time they want.  The macro implementations can them
> implement them as part of devtags embedded in any \X escapes.

Thanks for taking up the challenge, Branden.

That would work, but IMO wouldn't be very convenient.  I was thinking
along the lines of

.SH id=foo class=bar
Your title here

or, mdoc style

.SH Id foo Class bar
Your title here

I would like to think that we could compatibly add attributes to macros
that don't take arguments.  For the most part, when I have mistakenly
put text after such macros, the text has been ignored. I harbor the
hope that the ignored space could be repurposed, without changing
groff, and used by the "ms2html" script.

For macros that do take arguments, isn't the space between the last
argument and EOL ignored, too?  Could

.DS I 5n Id foo Class bar

be made to work?

--jkl