Re: Learning troff - where to start?

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: Learning troff - where to start?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 17:22:52 -0700

So one thing I use a lot is something I got James to add to pic, the
`i'th last thing.   Here is some actual pic source where I used that:

        for i = 1 to units by 1 do {
                line <-> dashed from `i'th [].C.s - (.10, 0) to \
                    last box.nw + (i/(units+1)*w, 0)
        }

As you may know, you can place stuff relative to a previous thing.
I had a need for being able to place a list of things, place another
list of things and draw lines between the two lists.  Pictures are
worth a thousand words, the .pdf here is done via the .pic here.
You change the units variable and it will draw more or less.

http://mcvoy.com/lm/pic

For differences between troff and groff

        man groff_diff

There are differences in there that are a distinct improvement on the
original troff, I use them.  Groff is a better troff.

--
---
Larry McVoy                  lm at mcvoy.com
http://www.mcvoy.com/lm