Re: .ss paragraph-style-footnote example, then and now

From: M Douglas McIlroy
Subject: Re: .ss paragraph-style-footnote example, then and now
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 18:31:31 -0400

As the example came through in my mail reader--in a different,
proportionally spaced font--the effect of .ll in the examples was
hard to figure out. Which of the two line lengths in the new case is
actually operative? Why are the inch lengths in the old and new
examples so different? The new example is ticklish, since it depends
on the peculiar AI that identifies sentence endings. Suppose citation 1
were longer (e.g. it includded the title of the article) and occupied two
input lines, with the first happening to end with "Soc."

I prefer the old example because it's clean to read, isn't mixed up
with AI, and incidentally illustrates a nontrivial use for .nop. The new
example is too full of distractions. (One distraction could well be
dropped from the old example: the unbreakable space. The huge
extra space could have an ugly effect if broken in justified text.)

Doug

> The example itself originally read:
>
>     .ll 4.5i
>     1.\ This is the first footnote.\c
>     .ss 48
>     .nop
>     .ss 12
>     2.\ This is the second footnote.
>
>     RESULT:
>
>     1. This is the first footnote.        2. This
>     is the second footnote.
>
> The new version of this example is:
>
>     .ie n .ll 50n
>     .el   .ll 2.75i
>     .ss 12 48
>     1. J. Fict. Ch. Soc. 6 (2020), 3\[en]14.
>     2. Better known for other work.
>
>     RESULT:
>
>     1. J. Fict. Ch. Soc. 6 (2020), 3-14.     2. Better
>     known for other work.

G. Branden Robinson

6:50 AM (11 hours ago)
to me
[private reply]

Hi Doug,

Your response to the .ss topic went to the TUHS list, not the groff list
where the subject originated.  I responded to the groff list.

FYI and warmest regards,
Branden

Attachments area