Re: man-intro (was: getting more out of man pages with less(1) )

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: man-intro (was: getting more out of man pages with less(1) )
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:05:14 -0400

On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:24:34 +1200
"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe Michael or Alejandro can advise regarding where they think a
> > good place for a man page utilization tutorial would be.
>
> If any place, I think intro(1) would be most appropriate, or,
> failing that, an initial sentence that points the reader at another
> page (that could be added in man-pages). My guiding principle would
> be that the guidance given should be simple (introductory and not
> comprehensive), finishing with pointers to man(1) and/or less(1)
> for further details.
>
> The current intro(1) is an odd page though. Andries Brouwer made
> some steps to turning into a general "intro to Linux" page, but that
> was, to my mind, always going to be an impossibly huge scope. I'm
> not a huge fan of what is there.

Attached is a straw man 1st draft of what an introduction to the man
system might look like.  If it clears the threshold of raspberries,
perhaps we can mold it into something useful.

I think the page should be called man-intro, or intro-man.  (Need
help?  Never fear, Intro Man is here!)  I included what I wish
someone had told me back when VAXes were in production.

This is my work.  I'm happy to consign it to the groff project or FSF,
or to the public domain.

--jkl