Wanted: testers for heavily revised grog(1)

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Wanted: testers for heavily revised grog(1)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:15:47 +1000

Hi folks,

Over the past several days I've been hacking heavily on grog.  I've
fixed 9 of the 10 outstanding Savannah tickets against it (leaving a
wish list item I filed myself) and, I believe, greatly improved its
quality and accuracy.  For example, it now correctly recognizes all of
the *roff documents in our source tree (with two syntactical corner-case
exceptions now documented in its man page) and is no longer fooled by
Perl's pod2man program into thinking the man pages it generates are ms
documents.  Many more details about changes, fixes, and improvements can
be found in the groff change log[1].

Since we've dropped groffer from the forthcoming groff release, I expect
we'll be advising people more to use grog to help them figure out groff
command lines, and so the quality of its implementation is important
("now more than ever", as U.S. politicians like to say).

We haven't heard from Bertrand in a few weeks; I don't know what his
availability for a 1.23.0.rc2 is, so I thought I'd turn to this list
looking for testers.  A happy consequence of one of my many disruptive
changes is that grog can now be mailed around and used as a single
standalone script.  Better still, we can point people directly to
Savannah and encourage them to to download it and try it out.

Here it is.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/plain/src/utils/grog/grog.pl

I'm also happy to report that my refactoring efforts and bug fixes have
_reduced_ grog in size from 29,201 bytes[2] to 21,270[3].

As I hope you've all come to expect from me, I've also added tests and
improved the documentation.

I appreciate any feedback.  Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Branden

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/ChangeLog
[2]