Re: Problems with .PDFPIC caused by pdfinfo

From: Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Subject: Re: Problems with .PDFPIC caused by pdfinfo
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 13:51:12 +0200

Am Montag, 20. September 2021, 21:39:49 CEST schrieb Keith Marshall:
> On 20/09/2021 19:22, Dave Kemper wrote:
> > Hi Heinz-Jürgen,
> >
> > Thanks for debugging and submitting a fix for this problem!
>
> Except that it's not really the most appropriate solution; that was
> proposed four years ago...
>
> > In general, when proposing changes to the groff code base, it's best
> > to open a bug report ...
>
> ...and Bertrand opened a (belated) ticket:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?55107
>
> which has shown no activity since; (so even open tickets aren't immune
> to fading into obscurity).
>
> > Regarding the specific change you've proposed, there may be some
> > resistance to using a grep option that's not part of the POSIX
> > standard for the command.  I'm not sure how widely implemented -a is,
> > or what equivalent solution might be more portable.
>
> I would go even further ... groff should *not* be calling out to
> external tools, such as grep — much less pdfinfo — from within core
> code, in a manner which requires use of unsafe mode, *especially* when
> core code to achieve the required functionally has been awaiting
> integration for a number of years!

For me too it would be a better solution to not calling external tools, even
that's part of the linux/unix philosophy.
As you found out, this small problem does exist for years already. I don't
remember exactly, but I looked already at the pdfinfo code, but was not able to
correct it. It seems to be only the pdfinfo used in OpenSuse.

 Posix grep
https://www.unix.com/man-page/posix/1P/grep/
does not know the -a or --text option.

Regards