Re: [BUG] italics run past where they should

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: [BUG] italics run past where they should
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 14:07:35 +0200

Hi Branden,

On 7/21/22 12:49, Alejandro Colomar wrote:

On 7/21/22 12:46, Alejandro Colomar wrote:

On 7/21/22 11:25, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Hi Alex,

At 2022-07-20T16:58:34+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a groff(1) bug, or less(1), or who knows...

 From your description I suspect a bug either in less(1) or your terminal
emulator.

Yup, I also had that feeling, but the only invariable thing in my experiments is groff(1). However, I considered the possibility that a slightly imperfect ordering in escape sequences might be interpreted correctly normally, but incorrectly after the search does some highlighting... Or that the combination of escape sequences used by less(1) an groff(1) might be incompatible with eachother?

I generalized the reproduction of the bug:

In any line with alternate highlighting .BI, seraching for a _whole_ italics word will trigger the bug.

And another finding: you don't need to search for the whole highlighted string, searching for a string that both has the same highlighting across all of it and contains the last character in the string (i.e., the next character after the match will have the other highlighting) will trigger the bug, even if there are more characters preceeding the string with the same typeface.

Cheers,

Alex

And I just reproduced the other side of the bug:

seraching for a whole bold string will make the following italics text not be italics any more.

--
Alejandro Colomar
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>