Re: TAB character in groff output

From: Deri
Subject: Re: TAB character in groff output
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 19:00:52 +0100

On Tuesday, 2 August 2022 17:58:38 BST Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Then again, the wording
>
>   "Typeset the glyph with code n in the current font ..."
>
> does provide an *implicit* hint that this can hardly be expected to
> be device-independent.
>
> > when attempting it on a platform that uses IBM code page 1047
> > as its input encoding.
>
> I would have expected the *output* font numbering to cause even
> more serious trouble than the *input* encoding.  Besides, not being
> a masochist to that degree you appear to assume, i prefer this
> counter-example:
>
>   printf "a\\\\N'9'b" | groff -T pdf > tmp.pdf
>
> After that, the file tmp.pdf displays three characters:
>
>   The letter "a", the Euro-sign (oops!?), and the letter "b".

It is not even dependent on the particular device. The euro comes from the
ninth glyph in the TR font, so it depends on the particular font encoding. The
glyph numbering is specified in the file text.enc, so you can have your own
glyph order if desired. So not really an oops, just not what you might have
expected.

Cheers

Deri