Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:02:41 -0500

At 2022-08-13T16:26:43-0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@usta.de> wrote:
> > The reason is not that mandoc tbl(7) to HTML conversion is bad but
> > that a structure display *is not tabular data*.
>
> Ingo's point is irrefutable.

Oh yeah?  Prove it!  ;-)

> The goal of better output for structure definitions is salubrious.
> What is considered problematic currently, and what is Alejandro's goal,
> in terms of output?
>
> I've seen a lot of discussion about using tbl(1) to that end, but I
> don't recall a "white paper" laying out the problem statement and
> rationale for that particular solution.

The discussion started on the linux-man list in the course of a patch
review.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/62c1b6748d2faa6263264b9fcaa064495357441b.1658195739.git.nabijaczleweli@nabijaczleweli.xyz/T/#m83835d556f7dd115590ff756305734ce5fb27a18

I presented multiple alternatives.

Regards,