Re: [BUG] italics run past where they should

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [BUG] italics run past where they should
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:01:19 -0500

Hi Alex,

At 2022-08-17T09:52:27+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> On 8/17/22 07:34, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > One difference to keep in mind is that Debian's groff is patched to
> > recognize a "GROFF_SGR" environment variable, and disables SGR
> > output from grotty(1) by default.  So perhaps you could see if you
> > can reproduce it in Debian stable using its groff, but with
> > GROFF_SGR=1 in the environment.
>
> Hmm, you found it.
>
> $ GROFF_SGR=1 man membarrier
>
> with Debian's groff 1.22.4 triggers the bug in Sid, but not in stable.
> What does this tell you?

That I don't have enough information yet.

Render the page directly with groff.

(export GROFF_SGR=1; zcat $(man -w membarrier) | groff -Tutf8 -man > grotty.out)

Use a text editor or hex dumper to confirm that SGR escape sequences are
present in "grotty.out".

Then view the file with a variety of pagers to see which, if any,
misbehave.

Regards,
Branden