Warn about long lines

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Warn about long lines
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 00:31:15 +0200

Hi Ingo, Branden,

Would you mind adding a warning about this?

I'm currently doing a global fix in the Linux man-pages turning kernel types like __u64 into the standard uint64_t that user-space programmers expect. Most of these are used within structure definitions, and so they are within .EX/.EE (non-filled). I fear that I might be making one of those structure definitions go past the right margin, and there are so many, that it's not funny rendering all of them to check; not even only those that I suspect that might; especially, since some may be deeply indented in .RS/.RE blocks that I may not notice (and that happened at least once --in one that I checked, luckily--).

$ cat longline.man
.TH a b c d
.SH foo
.nf
this is a very long line that will go past the 80-col right margin, and I want to be warned about it.
.fi
$
$ groff -man -ww -z ./longline.man
$
$ mandoc -Tlint ./longline.man
mandoc: ./longline.man:1:5: STYLE: lower case character in document title: TH a mandoc: ./longline.man:1:9: WARNING: cannot parse date, using it verbatim: TH c
$

Of course, the usual 80 applies, as the old Egyptians established to be optimal for their hieroglyphs.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar