Re: Dynamic Paperlength for PS or PDF device

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Dynamic Paperlength for PS or PDF device
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 11:19:49 -0600

Hi Wim,

At 2022-12-08T15:51:07+0100, Wim Stockman wrote:
> I am making a simple cash register with a ticket printer.  and I want
> to figure out how I can detect how long my physical paper should be
> without cutting some text off. So I can set it for the device. The
> width is fixed so that is no issue.  Eventually I can run it in some
> loop and detect when it stops having more than one page.

I reckon I would have a couple of macros that open and close a
diversion, then measure against an argument that specifies the limit
imposed by the hardware (i.e., length of paper roll remaining).

Here's a conceptual sketch.

.de StartTicket
.  br
.  di Ticket
..
.
.de EndTicket
.  di
..
.
.while 1 \{\
.  StartTicket
.\" input for ticket text goes here
.  EndTicket
.  if (\n[dn] > \n[ticket-printer-paper-length]) \
.    ab ticket too long for remaining paper; aborting
.\}

Please clarify if I've overlooked a requirement.

Regards,
Branden