Re: man(7), hyphen, and minus

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: man(7), hyphen, and minus
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 13:32:44 +1100

On 24/12/22 12:26, Richard Morse wrote:
On Dec 23, 2022, at 3:49 PM, Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:
I've been curious: how much use do you see of groff outside of man pages?
I realize I’m just one person, but my use of groff (and Heirloom for using
useful fonts) is entirely outside of man pages…

Like most of the dinosaurs that inhabit this mailing list I use *roff for many non-man-page uses. In fact, I have never sullied my hands with a man page.

In my case I use groff with no macro set to provide all the documentation for my not-very-successful business (OK, it's my hobby, my passion). The various documents are created entirely in bash shell scripts (with lots for help from sed, awk, and friends, and this list). The output is then piped through ps2pdf to produce the final document. Letters, invoices, Ts&Cs, all are done in groff.

You will recognise who we are when you see us type "In reference to your twenty-third ultimo entitled 'Final Notice Before Legal Recovery Action' we advise that the cheque is in the mail". That sentence is not what identifies us; it's when we start to kern it.

Merry Xmas,
Robert
Here is a language so far ahead of its time, that it was not only an
improvement on its predecessors, but also on nearly all its successors.
  -- C.A.R. Hoare (describing the programming language Algol 60)