Re: Don't despair! (was: [groff] 06/23: [man pages]: Define page-local `

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: Don't despair! (was: [groff] 06/23: [man pages]: Define page-local `MR` fallback.)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 16:44:55 +0100

Hi Branden,

very brief feedback:  If all you care about is new groff, old groff,
mandoc and Heirloom, then what your committed does indeed work,
but so would this much simpler version, so i assumed you were
aiming higher:

  .\" Define fallback for groff 1.23's MR macro if the system lacks it.
  .if !d MR \{\
  .  de MR
  [...]

I noticed that you put "mandoc" in a comment on a line that mandoc
does not need (and that, incidentally, no other formatter you are
targetting needs either).

Besides, i concluded from the comment "non-groff *roff" that you
were targetting other formatters besides groff, mandoc and
Heirloom, and i wondered what those might be.
Now it appears you targeted none beyond those three.

>> I would have prefered being wrong, but here we are.  :-(

> I think you are in fact wrong here,

What a relief!  =:c)

Yours,
  Ingo