Re: Behaviour of .so differs between mandoc and groff

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Behaviour of .so differs between mandoc and groff
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 15:44:42 +1000

"G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> writes:

In practice, as I understand it, `so` doesn't achieve anything for man pages that can't be done with symbolic links and (importantly) a man page indexer that is symlink-aware. Perhaps `so` support was preserved, and its practice retained, for a long time because at one point in the 1980s I think there was an AT&T/BSD split over symbolic links even being supported by the kernel. (And, to be fair, symbolic links are something of a hack that can make file system operations more painful. I see from the nftw() man page that they were still doing so as late as glibc 2.30,
3 years ago.)

mgorny@gentoo.org has just pointed out that:

The problem with symlinks is that they need to be updated to match manpage compression. `.so` works with any compression used for the manpage.

-- https://bugs.gentoo.org/905624#c1

On Gentoo, man page compression is affected by user-specified values for PORTAGE_COMPRESS and PORTAGE_COMPRESS_EXCLUDE_SUFFIXES; PORTAGE_COMPRESS is set to 'bzip2' by default.

Alexis.