Help wanted: just run gxditview on your system and click

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Help wanted: just run gxditview on your system and click
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:27:11 -0500

Hi folks,

I could swear that at one point not too long ago, gxditview's pop-up
menu still worked.  But now, for me, while it pops up with a left click
in the viewer/canvas area as it should, no menu item can be selected.
The keyboard accelerators still work, so the only feature this actually
inhibits is the printing dialog.[1]  But it's still an ugly wart.

Does this work for anyone else?

Just run "gxditview", left-click in the big yellow canvas area, and try
to select _any_ menu item.

I had feared that I somehow regressed this for groff 1.23, even though I
knew I hadn't touched gxditview's widget management code, but I now
suspect trouble elsewhere.  For me, the same failure occurs with groff
1.22.4 (Debian's version), stock 1.23.0, and Git HEAD.

I compiled and installed groff 1.22.3 from source, even--same problem.

Then I wanted to blame a Wayland vs. Xorg issue, mumbling something
to myself about event capture, but for me, it's broken in both.

I therefore think that either (a) I am incorrectly remembering that this
ever worked, or (b) a recent Debian package upgrade, possibly of
libxaw7, libxt6, or libx11-6, regressed this.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Branden

[1] This can be worked around by giving that dialog pop-up a keyboard
    accelerator, too, like capital P (lowercase p is already taken).