Re: [groff] 28/28: [pdf]: Implement linear bookmark tag search.

From: Douglas McIlroy
Subject: Re: [groff] 28/28: [pdf]: Implement linear bookmark tag search.
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:36:55 -0500

> (pdfbookmark, pdf*href-M): Use the new mechanism to record a bookmark
> tag if `PRINTSTYLE` (a mom(7) macro) is _not_ defined

This feels backwards to me. I understand pdf.tmac to be a low-level macro
package that other packages can invoke. It shouldn't have to know what
packages are going to use it.
Moreover, PRINTSTYLE is a lousy mnemonic for a  flag that alters a
bookkeeping mechanism. It is also stylistically out of step with other
macro names in the package.

Aside from this quibble about a name, the proposal looks sound. I'm
surprised that the time cost is so steep. Is that perhaps because the
density of bookmarks in the test case is unusually high?

Doug