Re: most widespread complaints about groff 1.23.0

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: most widespread complaints about groff 1.23.0
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2024 08:56:01 +0100

On Wed, Jul 03, 2024 at 05:13:14PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> I've prepared a GNU Savannah query for all resolved tickets of Important
> severity whose fixes are expected in groff 1.24.[7]  Some are fixes for
> regressions.  Doug's message about "groff -ms -p" not working is one.
>
> If a distributor were looking for patches to backport, I'd start there.

I cherry-picked a couple of what seemed to me to be the most urgent
patches and uploaded them to Debian as 1.23.0-5.  This includes a fix
for the problem Doug reported.

What are the plans for a 1.24 release?  In general I think it's bad to
drift into a habit of allowing too much time and too many commits to
pass between releases; it makes it more difficult to work out what went
wrong when users report regressions, and it invites a "just one more
fix" mindset which tends to be never-ending until the complaints pile up
high enough.

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]