grub-devel

Re: PPC Port

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: PPC Port
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:17:07 +0200

* Timothy Baldwin <address@hidden> [040522 17:22]:
> > - Johan's ieee1275 functions.
>
> Why is all the ieee1272 code under "powerpc" directories? ieee1272 is not PPC
> specific.

I agree. IEEE1275-1994 specific code should go in an extra directory.
But this is probably not going to be special if Grub2 wants to become
portable to a large number of platforms.

What about creating a directory "firmware" which contains several
firmware backend interfaces. Thus might be: IEEE1275-1994 (Open
Firmware), EFI, ARC, ...

EFI is already used by some x86 machines, and it's the only firmware
available for IPF. ARC has been used on Alpha and Mips machines. Open
Firmware is available for basically all platforms, the most wide spread
are sparc and ppc.

   Stefan