grub-devel

Re: [patch] Widening terminal coordinates, and reading terminal size.

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: [patch] Widening terminal coordinates, and reading terminal size.
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:55:38 +0200

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 04:29, Timothy Baldwin wrote:
> Here is a patch to widen terminal coordinates from grub_uint8_t to
> unsigned, change grub_getxy to return values via pointers. I have
> also added grub_getsizexy to read the terminal size. The PPC
> implementation is a dummy function, an the PC version assumes a
> height of 25. Improvements would be welcome.

I agree with your idea, but the name `getsizexy' is not very good, since
the return values are not coordinates. getsize or getgeometry might be
better. What do you think?

>  * include/grub/term.h
>  (grub_getsizexy, grub_term::grub_getsizexy): New prototypes.

This does not follow the convention. First, you should not specify
multiple functions in an entry. Please split it.

Also, grub_term::grub_getsizexy is not good. It should be:

(struct grub_term): Added a new member `grub_getsizexy'.

>  (grub_getxy, grub_term::grub_getxy): Returns via pointers to
>  unsigned, instead of packed into a 16-bit value, all callers
>  and implementations updated.

Likewise.

>  (grub_gotoxy, grub_term::grub_gotoxy): Arguements are now unsigned.

Likewise.

>  * term/i386/pc/console.c kern/i386/pc/startup.S
>  include/grub/i386/pc/console.h (grub_console_getsizexy): New
> function

You should not mention multiple files at a time. Please split it.

And, you don't describe your change of grub_console_getxy.

>  * util/console.c (grub_ncurses_getsizexy): New function

Please append a period.

Okuji