grub-devel

device syntax

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: device syntax
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:14:10 -0500

I was thinking about how GRUB specifies device paths using "(device,partition)/path" syntax. That's a problem because Open Firmware device paths can contain commas. The legal character list is the alphanumerics plus ", . _ + -". My Mac's video card is named "ATY,Rage128y", and I'm pretty sure I've seen disks with commas in their names.

I think what we need is architecture-specific functions that can parse a device path into device, partition, and path parts. That would mean different syntaxes for the different ports, but I think this is the way to go. I see there is already a grub_file_get_device_name() function used in a few places; what about also providing grub_file_get_partition() and grub_file_get_path() functions?

-Hollis