grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] grub-mkimage

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] grub-mkimage
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:18:28 -0600

On Dec 3, 2004, at 6:50 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

Use the -n/--note switch to add the CHRP NOTE segment on CHRP platforms
(e.g. briQ and Pegasos). NEVER use this switch on Power Macintosh. I
guess that should be documented better in the help text, but anyways...

Oh, weird.  For me grubof worked on the PegasosII without doing this.

Ah, my mistake then, good to know. The NOTE segment is still needed on briQ, RS/6000, and pSeries of course.

It may be possible to place module variables into their own section
containing nothing else, yet still in a LOAD segment. Then grub-mkimage
could parse the *section* table (right now it only does segments) and
overwrite the contents of this section to inform the runtime of the
module location. I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.

Whatever is the most flexible seems the best to me...

I was aiming for simplicity really... What's the simplest possible way we can inform grubof of the location of its modules? :)

AS Hollis said, I'm working on the relocator for PPC at the moment.
It is quite easy, but PPC_REL24 is a bit more complex.  It is used for
relative jumps.  That means the module should be loaded close to
grubof, which IMHO really sucks...

24-bit offsets give you a 16 MiB range, is that really a problem?

I am now trying to get option 2 to work first (by using black magic to
get everything loaded at the right address ;)) and when module loading
works for me I will try to make 3 work.

I agree this makes sense. I'm not sure that option 3 will end up being necessary, but option 2 is obviously needed.

Does someone else think I
try to do something else, or can someone help a bit somehow?  As you
might have noticed I really suck at this stuff and doing it just
because no one else does. ;)

I've never seen relocation code before, but if it's still not working when I get back I'd be happy to take a look...

-Hollis