grub-devel

Re: Grub and IR remote control?

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: Grub and IR remote control?
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:07:52 +0100

> Hello!
>
> I've build microchip based IR remote control receiver,
> that can wake my PC (it's connected via the RS232
> and it utilizes the RIng line that can be used with
> WOR capables motherboards).
>
> Now the receiver knows by wich IR code was the PC
> waked (it can be programmed to which codes to listen
> or not to), so I thought it would be nice, if
> grub could grab this code from the receiver
> (it's just simple sending a command to the RS232
> and reading the response) and choose what to start
> accordingly.
>
> Now my question: could someone point me, where could
> start trying hacking? Should I use grub2, or grub1?
> Is there some framework already, that I could reuse?
>
> Thank's a lot!
>
> Petr Tomasek
>
> P.S. I haven't published the schematics and firmware
> for the receiver yet, but I hope to do that in the
> future.
>
> --
> Petr Tomasek, http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek/

Grub 2 hacking should be somewhat easier. It is enough to write a module
providing the command to read the port. On the other hand, grub2 is
still in development, and sometimes does not work.

Grub legacy is stable, but not feature-maintained anymore, so if you want to
publish your feature to grub 1, you should do it via patch on your web-pages.

P.S.: I don't know how looks grub legacy inside, I'm hacking only for 2.
--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik