grub-devel

Re: device syntax again

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: device syntax again
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:40:04 +0000

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jan 18, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 15:52, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>>> For now let's not talk about where aliases are created. What about my
>>> original question: grub has just booted, and when it asks what device
>>> it was booted from (the /chosen/bootpath property) it gets this:
>>>     /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden,0
>>> (that is the real "disk" device on Vincent's UltraSparc). The next
>>> thing we want to do is load a config file from the same device. What
>>> value should we put into "prefix"?
>>
>> This has already been discussed. Marco suggested to have a "boot drive"
>> for this.
>
> He mentioned that to me on IRC today, but I had not heard the idea
> before. I believe that will work fine.

Huh?  I even explained it to you.  But I guess I misunderstood the
question you asked me, sorry about that.

The boot drive Okuji mentioned is the alias that is always created for
the device booted from.  This should be implemented on the PC as well
because it will solve some problems.

So (boot) will in all cases point to the string in /chosen/bootpath.
After we have this we can set the prefix.  If it is possible to
determine the partition number from bootpath it should be set in
prefix as well.

If (boot) is not the right drive for prefix we should considering
storing prefix in the ELF, this is how it is done on the PC as well.
This might be required when the modules are not stored on the drive
the ELF was loaded from.

Thanks,
Marco