grub-devel

Re: Pre-alpha scripting engine

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: Pre-alpha scripting engine
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:59:55 +0100

> So a scripting language should fit into the semantics of the
> command-line interface. For example, Lisp is not acceptable, because it
> is too difficult to use as a shell. I don't know if PHP-like syntax
> fulfills this requirement, but I don't like it very much, because PHP
> is really similar to Perl (which is known as a maker of write-only
> code).
>
> I'd like to hear others' opinions. I have been thinking this issue for
> some years, but I still don't know a good answer.
>
> Okuji

PHP-like thing (or embedding LUA language) seems good to me because it
can be very small (#lines, #bytes - binary). On the other hand
shell-like thing will know many people (but it will not be regular bash,
with command `[', sed, and arrays and many other things that are need, when
you want to write a complex script), so I don't know if the shell-like
language will not be confusing because of not exactly same as sh. I'm
woting for simple shell-like language as primal language, and for
modules with extended languages, that can `compute' more complicated
things. I.e. grub-commands are same for both, but in the extended
language you can simply use asociative arrays and other advanced tools,
that are not needed in standard (=simple) scenario.
--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik