grub-devel

Re: Loopback device

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Loopback device
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:58:44 +0000

address@hidden writes:

> Marco Gerards wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Here is a patch to add loopback support to GRUB.  Although a lot of
>> people told me they would find it useful, I just wrote it out of
>> boredom without thinking about its use, just to figure out how hard it
>> would be.
>> I could commit it if anyone really wants it.  Can I commit it?
>
> Thanks, that's handy.
>
> Note I'm not sure it's completely necessary though
> as I have been using grub on a file for
> ages by just doing `losetup /dev/loop0 disk.img`
> before running grub.

This patch is more for when you are booting.

So when you booted GRUB from your harddrive you can use the commands:

loopback loop (hd0,4)/home/marco/image/floppy.ext2
linux (loop)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5
boot

To load a kernel from a floppy image on your harddrive.  Same for
iso9660, etc.

I have no idea if your example would work.  I never used such
things. :)

--
Marco