grub-devel

Re: reboot and halt commands for the PPC

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: reboot and halt commands for the PPC
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:07:10 +0000

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Is that a client interface command or a command for the command line
>>> interface?  On my pegasos I have the shut-down command on the command
>>> line interface.  The power-off command does not exist.
>>
>> IIRC, power-off is used on Sparc, and shut-down on PowerPC. I don't
>> know
>> why they are inconsistent, though.
>
> Unfortunately, neither are listed in IEEE1275.

Right.  But I don't think this should not be a reason not to add this
feature.  It works on both the apple and bplan firmware.

Calling the functions after each other won't work on the bplan
firmware, IIRC because it crashes.

> Further, "interpret" is an optional client interface command, and will
> not exist on systems without the Forth user interface (like PIBS,
> IBM's firmware for embedded PPC). I think the flow will need to go
> something like this:

You are right.  Personally I don't want to add something like this
until GRUB works on such box.  Perhaps the interpret call makes the
box crash or so.  So I want to keep it this way until we can get
access to such box.

Is that ok for you?

Thanks,
Marco