grub-devel

Re: auto-loading of commands

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: auto-loading of commands
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:13:04 +0100

On Saturday 12 March 2005 03:43 pm, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Would it be possible to give filesystems priorities for loader and
> detecting?
>
> For example some filesystems like UFS2 probe a lot of blocks to see if
> it has the superblock.  This should have a lower priority than
> filesystems that only load block 0, 1 or 2 because those blocks are
> cached anyway.

Possible, but I suspect that it has no good effect. When you load filesystem
modules, GRUB will access several blocks even if caching is efficient. The
overhead of trying to mount UFS2 is only 4 accesses. So my feeling is that
this would be negligible.

Anyway, I will implement a simple one first. If it looks too slow, we can
improve it later.

Okuji