grub-devel

Re: network support

From: Vincent Guffens
Subject: Re: network support
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:53:24 +0100

Hi,

I just wanted to make a small update on the network support as I've just had grub2 sending bootp request. Here is the request as seen from my laptop directly connected to my test pc:

14:39:44.915056 0:c0:9f:16:f6:4c Broadcast ip 590: 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: xid:0x9f16f945 [|bootp]

and it gets its address back as can be seen from the next frame:

14:39:44.915423 0:c0:9f:16:f6:4c Broadcast ip 590: muskar.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: xid:0x9f16f945 [|bootp]

As for now, it compiles with as many warning as there are stars in the sky but it at least, it does something.

What I've done is as follows:

    *  module : grub_pci
          o provided grub command : lspci, lspci_driver
o description : loads the core pci routine, initiliases the pci_device list (dev_list), export the symbols need to register new drivers
          o files: grub_pci.c, pci_io.c, i386_timer.c, timer.c

    * module : drv_*
          o provide grub command : none
o description : driver from etherboot. Uses the pci_register_driver to register itself and do nothing else
          o files: depends on the driver

    * module : pcimodprobe
          o provide grub command : ifconfig
          o description : initialises the nic, probes for the config
          o files :

The drivers are nearly no modified at all. I just changed printf/grub_printf, added some #include and added the code to register themselves.

Cheers,

Marco Gerards wrote:
Vincent Guffens <address@hidden> writes:

yes but I was just thinking about other people who would like to work
on it meanwhile. As I have never done that before, it might take some
time and I might not be able to do it at all. But, ok it is a good
start to have this lspci working. I go back to work and see how it
goes.

Yeah, cool.  I am looking forwards to a patch.  If you need any help
or testers, feel free to contact me over email or IRC.

--
Marco