grub-devel

Re: partition layouts

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: partition layouts
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:01:13 -0500

On Apr 5, 2005, at 12:41 AM, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 02:38 am, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
Can we have a shortcut to avoid specifying that "(hd,7)/" part
repeatedly? I think that was the "root" command in GRUB Legacy, which
was replaced by the "prefix" environment variable? But as I mentioned,
"prefix" doesn't have the meaning we're looking for here...

root is not a command but a variable in GRUB 2.

Actually, I see now that it is a command: grub_rescue_cmd_root() in kern/rescue.c. Is that only a rescue mode thing? That seems to be exactly what I need... aside from the very confusing use of "root" meaning where GRUB finds the kernel and "root" meaning where Linux finds /sbin/init.

I cannot find any grub_env_get("root") callers.

-Hollis