grub-devel

Re: savannah

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: savannah
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:14:22 +0200

Vincent Pelletier <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
>> And they are still talking about LILO vs. GRUB? Completely off-topic. Who on
>> the earth understands your post? *sigh*
>
> They are asking for a popularity poll between LILO and GRUB.
> And they also report some problems they had with grub legacy :
> -software raid (not straightforward with grub)

This can be easily implemented in GRUB 2 just like I implemented the
"loopback" support.  I did not know how software raid worked in GRUB
Legacy (I did not know it had software raid support) and I do not know
if this is the right way to implement it...

> -"lilo -R"-like functionality (what's that ? an automatic fallback when
> kernel can't be read ?) to make remote kernel changes safer.

Something like this is possible with later (the latest?) GRUB Legacy
release AFAIK/

> What comes up is also that most users just keep the default bootloader
> from their distro. And grub seems to be the default bootloader in a
> growing number of distributions.

Right.  I think it is our task to make GRUB 2 the default. :)

--
Marco