grub-devel

Creating serial output without losing keyboard control

From: Cheryl Homiak
Subject: Creating serial output without losing keyboard control
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:17:16 -0500

I'm not sure whether or not this list is the appropriate place for broaching this subject or not, but it was the most logical choice I could find.

I am blind and using grub in debian; I also have used grub in fedora and gentoo. I have predominantly used grub legacy but am starting to attempt to use grub2. My only problems with grub are that I can not tell for sure when grub has loaded when booting and I can not read the menu. I use speech and braille devices connected to serial ports, but their screen-reading programs do not start until after grub has booted the kernel.

When I used lilo, I could use the serial command in the configuration to allow me to at least see when the boot occurred and to add ctrl-G to a message file so I also got an auditory beep. I can do this in grub with the pause command, but if I do that I can never allow the computer to boot unattended say, after a power failure, because it will wait for a keypress before continuing. It just occurs to me as I write this that maybe there is a way to use a timeout variable to avoid this problem, but I haven't checked that.

Also, I can hear some of the menu if I use the "serial" and "terminal" commands. However, there does not appear to be a way to use the "serial" command to see the output through a serial device without also invoking the "terminal" command. This means that although I can now hear the output I have no way to make selections because I can not make responses via the keyboard. I also tried using "terminal serial console" but with a zero timeout this simply takes output and input both to the serial port and without a zero timeout it waits for a keypress; if I press a key on my keyboard control of course returns to the console but I also am back to not being able to read the output via the serial port.

Is there any possibility of providing an option to separate the output from the input. I need to be able to receive the output via my braille or speech equipment through the serial port but maintain input control at the keyboard so I can respond to that output. Of course to some extent I can estimate when loading of grub takes place and to some extent I can just memorize my kernel choices and arrow down with no feedback, but there are times when these really aren't the best practices to have to follow.

Since it's my understanding that grub legacy is not being actively developed, it made more sense to me to request this feature in grub2.

Thank you for any suggestions or any development that might be able to address this issue.

--
Cheryl
"Where your treasure is,