grub-devel

Re: gsd grub2 option proposal

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: gsd grub2 option proposal
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:17:09 -0500

On Aug 30, 2005, at 1:28 PM, adrian15 wrote:

I wanted to talk about user interaction.
User Interaction is very important on Grub Super Disk.

First you need to define "Grub Super Disk," because I really don't know what you're talking about...

# Default values of swapped disks and devices to boot

swapped_hd=2nd hard disk
swapped_hd_value=(hd1)
boot_dev=(fd0)

# grub_title is the variable for showing the grub title (in place of free
mem and grub version)
grub_title=Swap 1st hard disk with $swapped_hd and boot $boot_dev

title Select Swapped hard disk
option 2nd hard disk
swapped_hd=2nd hard disk
swapped_hd_value=(hd1)
option 3rd hard disk
swapped_hd=3rd hard disk
swapped_hd_value=(hd2)
option 4th hard disk
swapped_hd_value=(hd3)
swapped_hd=4th hard disk

title Select device to boot
option 1st partition 2nd hard disk
boot_dev=(hd1,0)
option floppy
boot_dev=(fd0)
option cdrom
boot_dev=(cd)

title Go!
map (hd0) $swap_hd_value
map $swap_hd_value (hd0)
rootnoverify $boot_dev
boot

This might even work now, although obviously you would need to select two entries: some hard disk, and then "Go!". Doesn't seem very convenient to me.

If you're just trying to avoid typing that stuff under "Go!", I guess a script function would be useful here.

-Hollis