grub-devel

AW: USB kernel driver

From: jochen
Subject: AW: USB kernel driver
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:07:09 +0200 (CEST)

> > address@hidden writes:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > can somebody tell me if it is possible to integrate an USB kernel
> > > driver (f. ex. linux-2.6.0\drivers\usb) into GRUB2 to access USB
> > > devices?
> > >
> > > If possible, it would be great if somebody could tell me what basic
> > > steps I have to do.
> >
> > I don't think it is possible.  Linux has multitasking, interrupt
> > handing, a drive framework including the required bus drives, etc.
> >
> > For GRUB we have to write our own drivers, I think.  And besides
that,
> > I don't think it is nice to maintain the glue code.

First of all thanks for your comments!

So it seems to me the only way is to write it our own. Or are there any
more ideas where to "borrow" code from?

Writing a own GRUB USB driver seems to be a complicated task, starting
with the three standards UHCI, EHCI and OHCI.

Furthermore I have no experience with GRUB drivers! Is there any
documentation besides the source code?

Jochen