grub-devel

Re: USB kernel driver

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: USB kernel driver
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:06:54 -0500

On Oct 21, 2005, at 1:09 AM, address@hidden wrote:

because of not knowing the GRUB 2 architecture very well so far, it would
be nice if you could give me some tipps about
- what does the GRUB development enviroment looks like (means how does
your test PCs look like, how to put updates on the test PC an so on)

There is some information in the wiki: http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnX86 . If you have more specific questions, please ask on the list and then update the wiki with the answers. :)

- ways to debug my code

grub_printf, pretty much exclusively. Also, please consider using grub_dprintf for generally useful debug messages. Consider when somebody runs your code on different hardware and it doesn't work: you can then "set debug=usb" and the debug messages you've left in will be displayed.

I've been thinking about a memory dumping and editing command, but haven't needed it enough to implement it so far.

If you have other suggestions, feel free to make them here...

- where in source code should I place my test driver

There is a top-level "video" directory, so I guess you could make a new directory like "usb". Or we may want to move things into a "drivers" directory, but that should be a small matter compared to getting the code working. :)

-Hollis