grub-devel

[patch] grub-install for PPC

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: [patch] grub-install for PPC
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:58:24 -0500

This patch creates a grub-install for PPC. Right now it requires ofpathname (see earlier mail) to be installed in /usr/sbin. It also requires /sbin/nvsetenv to be present for full functionality.

Here's the basic scenario: /boot/grub is a mounted firmware-readable filesystem, such as HFS or FAT (I have just reused my yaboot partition). It contains grub.cfg, grub itself, and modules. Firmware is directed to boot the grub ELF file by setting the boot-device firmware variable. (Note that you don't tell grub-install what device to install onto; that is discovered from /proc/mounts.)

This patch has been tested (along with make install). It has not been extensively tested or proofread or examined for error-checking.

Please try running grub-install after applying this patch. Note that it will make your system boot GRUB, so you may want to remember how to get back to yaboot for now...

-Hollis

P.S. Don't think I've forgotten about renaming "grubof"...