grub-devel

Re: Video subsystem draft

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Video subsystem draft
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:21:33 +0200

On Sunday 23 October 2005 01:24 pm, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> I made a draft how video subsystem could work. It doesn't currently
> contain information about internals, but is more concentrated on usage
> of the API.

It looks good.

> In order to make GRUB 2's video subsystem more flexible, there is a need
> to modify font manager in order to support more variety of different
> character types. I already tested it with one idea and it seems to work
> nicely, but in order to support more character types I think someone
> else have to give some comments about how glyph's should be defined.

For the glyph support, it should be based on the font manager, but I haven't
decided the API yet. As a starting point, it would be enough to assume that
we always use a fixed size (currently, 8x16 or mutiples of 8x16). In the
future, we will want to support different size or even vector fonts.

> Anyway, here is first draft and I would like to get some comments about it:
>
> http://jumi.lut.fi/~vjaaskel/grub2/

Can you put the contents on the wiki? This would be easier to maintain the
document.

Okuji