grub-devel

Re: singleboot

From: Vincent Pelletier
Subject: Re: singleboot
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 08:10:34 +0100

Paul Tarjan wrote:
> I've been wanting for quite some time a method to be in linux, and
> reboot into windows for just this one time and keep linux as my
> default boot.

What about :

default saved

title windows
root ...
makeactive
chainloader +1

title linux
root ...
kernel ...
initrd ...
savedefault
boot

Then you can select windows and it will only boot once in windows (as
long as you don't select it again sometime).

Another solution would be, if your bios can do that, to define disk boot
order as :

windows disk
linux disk

Then if the windows disk is plugged in, it will not even run grub but
directly the windows bootloader. If nothing is plugged in place of the
windows drive, it will just skip and boot grub on the second.

I'm not sure I got your request right :
Do you want to "physically" remove the boot entry so no one can use it
later ?
Do you want it to be 100% automatic (like used as some remote automation) ?

Vincent Pelletier