grub-devel

Re: play.c

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: play.c
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:55:25 +0100

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

> On Nov 5, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:

>>> I point out some stylish mistakes.
>>
>> Personally I was thrilled with the idea of sound and really, these
>> little "style" things are so trivial.  Its like someone hanging a
>> painting and then commenting on color of the frame.
>>
>> Actually I am sure it is just a language barrier issue and what you
>> meant to say was "wow, thanks for this cool submission!"
>
> Please don't confuse constructive criticism for disinterest or a lack
> of appreciation. The way code approaches perfection is through peer
> review, and you will notice that almost all patches from all
> contributors are commented on. In fact, most people actively seek out
> criticism for their patches! That is why Vincent posted it to the list
> for comment rather than just committing it himself.

The Hurd just works the other way around sometimes.  People send in
simple patches and they are ignored very often.  There is nothing more
frustrating than that.  It might seem a bit harsh to get some critique
on a patch, but it is the best in the long term for everyone.

Which reminds me of all the patches for GRUB I still have to
review... ;-/

--
Marco