grub-devel

Re: Video subsystem draft

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Video subsystem draft
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:06:49 +0100

On Friday 18 November 2005 12:19 am, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> What is the procedure to generate font file to font manager? Or should I
>  just add some functionality to import VGA font to font manager.

First, download unifont.hex from <http://czyborra.com/unifont/HEADER.html>.
Then, convert it with util/unifont2pff.rb. If you invoke this script with no
argument, you can a short summary of the usage. Let's say, you store the font
in unifont.pff, then the command is "ruby util/unifont2pff.rb unifont.hex >
unifont.pff". Now you can put this generated file under /boot/grub, and load
it by the command "font".

You can also specify specific code ranges to unifont2pff.rb, if you need only
a subset of supported glyphs. This is necessary if you want to use the
ancient technology called "floppy".

Honestly, I haven't tried the font manager for a long time. So I won't be
surprised even if I hear it is not working well. But last time I tried it (it
was not GRUB 2, but PUPA), it worked well and I saw a menu with Japanese
titles.

Okuji