grub-devel

Re: NewWorld CD Booting?

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: NewWorld CD Booting?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:10:52 -0600

On Mar 14, 2006, at 10:43 PM, Andrei Warkentin wrote:

I really don't know who else to approach with this, and this is (potentially) GRUB 2 related (if/when GRUB2 boots from CD).

GRUB2 should boot just fine from a CD.

Basically I hack away at my "kernel attempt" on a an '05 iBook (dev system is 10.4), and decided to look into making a bootable CD so I could use QEMU PPC emulator instead of rebooting to test after every compile.

I created the bootinfo file (like this):
<snip>

If I boot up while holding "C", I get the gray screen, I can hear the CDROM spin up, then I get kicked back to the white and black OF screen and there is an error about memory access violation.

You didn't mention where you placed the bootinfo.txt. It should be /ppc/chrp/bootinfo.txt on the CD. http://penguinppc.org/ppc64/power-bootable-iso/ may have some information that helps you (though some of it isn't directly applicable).

-Hollis