grub-devel

software raid1

From: Carl Karsten
Subject: software raid1
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:43:58 -0600

I have been messing around with software raid1 - mirroring 2 drives - including the boot sectors. The goal is to be able to remove either drive and still have a functioning system.

I realize that this is "not supported" given that "Add support for software RAID" is on the http://grub.enbug.org/TodoList but I have heard it can be done with some trickery: install grub on both drives and rely on the fact that /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 and /dev/md0 are all "the same thing" as long as md0 is the only one that gets written to.

I did run into one problem: if you have ide master and slave, and you pull the master, the slave dissapears and the box/bios won't see it so it won't boot from it. so I am guessing I have to make each drive the master on a seperate ide bus so that pulling one won't take out the other.

Before I spend too much time trying to make this work, anyone know of a HowTo that outlines this?

CarlFK