grub-devel

RE : grub-emu state of the art

From: Eric Salomé
Subject: RE : grub-emu state of the art
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 01:31:18 +0200

GRUB 2 Wiki
ToDoList : Implement ModuleLoading in grub-emu

I worked on that : Architecture i386/pc - Emulation on Linux/Ubuntu
grub-emu is loading all current modules, though some won't do anything
in emulation mode. The modules .mod are the same as those used for boot
time.

Little changes in source code, though I had to adapt asm files to
passing parameters in stack (I compile without -mregparm=3 -mrtd options
as I didn't want to recompile the whole C library with those passing
parameters conventions).
... when I be done with grub 2 debugging I'll just have to recompile
with these options (if you like them a lot) and it will work just fine
(boot time only).

ToBeAwardedOf:
Don't use gcc 3.3 with grub 2's current source files : compiled code is
wrong and subject to unattended results.
Runs fine with gcc 4.0. I have still a doubt about gcc 3.4.

LeftToDo :

- see if every modification is useful, as I tried a few things before I
got a good result, and send a diff patch.
- I need a "patched" symlist.c to compile with grub-emu (could be
generated by a script, but I am too lazy).
- let gdb know about dynamically loaded modules ;-), but I guess it
won't be the easy part.

Best Regards,
Eric Salomé - Paris, France