grub-devel

Re: grub2+qemu El Torito boot

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: grub2+qemu El Torito boot
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:06:11 +0200

Hi,

I've written a script that might be interesting to those who would like to
test GRUB2 in qemu without any use of root privileges.
I am one of this. Thank you.

This is a two-stage approach that uses GRUB Legacy to load GRUB2 from a CD
image, which GRUB2 then uses as a hard drive (whole device, no partition
table). This is effectively native El Torito, except that GRUB Legacy handles
the initial boot.
It's a pity that GRUB2 does not handle ElTorito itself yet.
Oh, and I wasn't able to get this to work with GRUB 1.94: I'm using a cvs
pull that is a few hours old, since 1.94 seems to go into rescue mode no
matter what I do.
It's pity because i only have grub 1.94 at hand. I will try it nevertheless.

adrian15