grub-devel

grub2 file browser draft

From: adrian15
Subject: grub2 file browser draft
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:21:58 +0200

Marco Gerards you asked me the other day about scripting. If there was something missing or any other thing that he could do.

This draft about a grub2 file draft can help him thinking about how powerful is his scripting or not.

The user sees inside a menu:
Floppy1
Floppy2
HardDisk1
HardDisk2

He selects HardDisk1. He sees another menu:
        View
        Save as Argument 1
        Save as Argument 2
        Setup Grub Here
        This is Grub Root (Only if the hard disk/device has no partitions)
He selects View. He sees another menu:
        hda1
        hda2
        hda3
        hda4
        hda5
He selects hda1. He sees another menu:
        View
        Save as Argument 1
        Save as Argument 2
        Setup Grub Here
        This is Grub Root (Only if partition filesystem is grub readable)
He selects View. He sees another menu:
        /boot
        /etc
        /var
He selects /etc. He sees another menu:
        View
        Save as Argument 1
        Save as Argument 2
He selects View. He sees another menu:
        fstab
        config1
        config2
He select fstab. He sees another menu:
        View
        Save as Argument 1
        Save as Argument 2
Let's say he returns to previous menu where he is seeing /etc folder.
He select my_index.html. He sees another menu:
View inside a web browser (GRUB2 will have a module with basic html reading I suppose)
        View
        Save as Argument 1
        Save as Argument 2

So Marco Gerards....
Do you think that this can be done with your grub scripting? Or the grub2 scripting needs more hacking?

adrian15